Thursday, December 4, 2008

Overall thoughts on csc236

We just had our final lecture in csc236 and have finished wrapping up the loose ends of the course material. With only one test left and then the exam, it's safe to say were basically finished the course. In many ways I greatly enjoyed csc236 more than most of the courses i've taken so far. The course material was interesting and I thought that the lectures were properly allocated to effectively cover the required material. I found the lectures to be extremely informative, especially because of how we went through examples together, and an effective way to learn the material. I surprisingly liked the weekly problem sets and thought they were a good way to keep ontop of the material. I also started using the help center and went to office hours more often (Heap center?), both of which I found to be of great help when I got stuck on certain points of the assignment. If there were areas to improve the course I'd suggest for next year, I'd like to see more of how some of the concepts are applied to computing, i.e how are DFSA's used in programming, though I don't believe it should be too indepth. I'd also like to have a bit more of the class time afforded to converting NFSA's to DFSA's and on context-free Grammar, but I understand that the lack of class time dedicated towards these topics was more likely a result of us just being introduced to them for next year and then expanding on them then.

1 comment:

Danny Heap said...

Thanks for the comments. I'll definitely look for a way to work in concrete applications of DFSAs if I teach this again.